Sunday, July 3, 2011

6 tier cupcake stand painted silver

My sister Jenniffer at Cup a Dee Cakes called me again about making a stand to fit the amount of cupcakes she needed for a brides reception at the Grandview.   She needed the stand to hold 140 cupcakes, an 8 inch cake topper, and it also needed to be painted silver.

I made the stand 6 tiers tall, with 4" spacing between each tier plate, and tier sizes of 8,10,12,14,16, and 18 inches square.  Fully assembled it is 26 inches tall, and all the cupcakes fit on the stand.  None are on the table.

The paint presented a small problem.  I could have used a silver Rustoleum to paint it, but the fumes would have been too bad.  I really wanted a latex, and after shopping around, I found some.  The Home Depot carries a line of paint called Precious Metals with Martha Stewarts name on it.  I chose a color called "Tin" for the paint over other silvery looking ones because it seemed the closest to silver to me.  The others looked too dark or had a green tint to them.  I have to say I was impressed with it, but it was pricey at $20 a quart.  They have a wide variety of colors, faux finishes, and GLITTER paint (Don't tell Jen).

All in all, I think it turned out well.  I have the design for sale here at my Etsy shop, along with more pictures.   Go have a look!

2 comments:

  1. Great looking stand and looks nice and sturdy compared to others I've seen (checked out your shop and its a great price). Are the boards 1/4" thick; just wondering what size ribbon could be used to personalize for my customers (stephanie@confectionarydesigns.com) - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliments! I think they are a great product, but I'm always looking to improve them.
    Yes, the boards are 1/4", but they can be made from 1/2" or 3/4" materials. I'm also working on a custom order that will have wide scalloped edges with holes for ribbon to be laced through them. Check back for updates.

    ReplyDelete